Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Phuthaaditjhaba

Mon, Feb 18

Dear family and friends,

It has been another week to remember here in Phuthaditjhaba. How many of you can pronounce that by the way? Some of these African names are ridiculous sometimes haha. This past week we had a couple of great lessons with people who are getting ready for baptism. I'm not sure how many of you remember this guy named L_____ that we met about a month ago. He has been reading the Book of Mormon like crazy and on Tuesday he told us he wants to be baptized. I have never seen someone so converted since I have been on mission. He is reading everything we give him, he is reading about temples, gospel principles, the lorenzo snow book, etc. He even wants a D&C! We told him to slow down a little bit and take it one step at a time. He will be getting baptized on March 3rd (My birthday!) so we are really excited. He has so much potential to be a powerful member in the branch. He is already doing a lot of missionary work, his sister is really interested in the church. She lives in Johannesburg, we directed her to the nearest chapel there and she visited church on Sunday. It is so great to see how the restored gospel can completely change a persons life. Lerato was really struggling with quite a few things in his personal life and the Book of Mormon has completely changed his demeanor. Every time he reads the Book of Mormon he relates it so well to his own life, it's just further testimony to me that the Book of Mormon was written for our day!

We also have a baptism coming up this Sunday. Leb______ was interviewed and is ready to be baptized, Leb_____ is a stud. He is so excited and every time we talk to him he just tells us all about the blessings he has seen since reading the Book of Mormon and coming to church. I gave him a DVD that had about 4 hours worth of church videos, he told me that very same night he watched all of the videos on the DVD. He is even talking about how after he becomes a member he wants to serve a mission. It's so great to see people become converted before they are even baptized. President Von Stetten (our mission president) always talks about how we are looking for converts to the gospel, not just baptisms. Unfortunately in the past so many people here in Africa have been baptized too quickly and were not ready to make and keep the sacred covenants associated with baptism. Inactivity is a huge problem the church is facing here in Africa.

Becoming converted is really a lifelong process but I feel like my mission has converted me for the rest of my life. I always had a testimony growing up in the church but I never felt that conversion or mighty change of heart that Alma speaks of. My mission has finally given that to me which I'm really grateful for. I loved that talk from Elder Bednar in this past conference about conversion, if you haven't had the chance to read it then go back and look over it. It's a fantastic talk about conversion and the process we must all go through. Anyways, I hope everything is going well back home and you all have a great week!

Love,
Elder Summers

No comments:

Post a Comment