Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blessed are the Persecuted

July 15, 2013

Dear family and friends,

This past week was not the easiest in the world to be honest. The good news is that Sunday was awesome and our baptisms went very smoothly! Both of the young women were baptized in very cold water. It is the middle of winter here and we had to fill up the temporary font with a cold water hose. Usually they boil some water in pots and put it in with the cold water to neutralize the temperature but the electricity was out for all of Sunday! The young women didn't complain though and it counts all the same. The spirit was so strong at the baptismal service and it's exactly what I needed after a tough week. 
 
My companion and I were discussing about the Saviors teachings when he said: "Blessed are those who are persecuted for my names sake..." We were joking that every time someone is rude to us, closes the door or rejects are message we receive a blessing! We had quite a few people rejecting us this past week and it can be really easy to be discouraged if you don't remember your purpose. Satan really uses discouragement but we are doing our best to stay positive. I feel as though serving a mission is sometimes a roller coaster with regards to my physical, emotional and spiritual health. It can be draining at times but then I feel my Heavenly Father's love when times get difficult. 
As I've mentioned before we are currently teaching this man named bro. N........ We felt as though he was really starting to make progress but our lesson this past week was not what we expected. He flat out said to our faces the Book of Mormon is not true and he doesn't even feel the need to pray. Unfortunately we don't feel like there is anything else we can do. We he said it isn't true I bore testimony more boldly then I ever have before. I couldn't stand someone telling me to my face that everything were saying is false and basically we are wasting our time. It's unfortunate he isn't willing to go to God for answers, instead he continues to turn to the internet and books for answers. That is quite contrary to Moroni's counsel to pray with a "sincere heart." Anyone that prays about it with a sincere heart and real intent will receive an answer without a doubt in my mind. We can't expect God to answer our prays if we are skeptical He will answer us in the first place. 
 
Well not much else happened this week. I met my mission president for the first time and he is awesome! I am really excited to work with him and he is very enthusiastic about the work. Transfers are coming this next week but it sounds like I'll still be in Welkom for another transfer. 
 
Love you all,
Elder Summers

No comments:

Post a Comment