Sunday, September 1, 2013

Catching Fire!

August 19, 2013

Dear family and friends,
 
The area here is catching fire! I'm really hoping I won't be spending a short period of time serving in this area. Since my companion and I white washed the area it is likely that one of us could be transferred. The area is really progressing and my companion and I can see why the Lord needed this area white washed. When we first got here we couldn't understand but were seeing the Lord's hand more and more. 
 
When we got here there was one person being taught that was scheduled to be baptized. These past 2 weeks we have been able to put over 10 people on baptismal date for September. We are expecting to have at least 3 or 4 people baptized by September 15th if all goes well. We have been so busy and I don't think I've ever been this tired! We are working hard and seeing the miracles that are coming. This branch here is on the verge of becoming a ward and we just need to find a couple more priesthood holders. I'll tell you about a couple of people we have found. 
 
We are teaching a young man named X...... He is 20 years old and his step mom is the YW's president. We started teaching him this past week and he is very excited. He accepted to be baptized next month and he came to church on Sunday. He enjoyed church a lot and he has great support at home. He will be another potential Melchizedek priesthood holder in the branch. 
 
We are also teaching a young married couple (wahoo! hard to find married couples) from Mozambique. They struggle a little bit with English but the father is very excited and interested. He is very humble and wants to be baptized. He came to church for the first time on Sunday and at the end he said he loved it! He said he will be here every Sunday but the biggest problem is that he is working on Sunday sometimes. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to progress with him and move him towards baptism. 
 
As we were shopping last Monday my companion met a father working at the store. This father is humble and has a whole family. We are meeting him this week and hoping that it will work out. It is so hard to find father led families here that are interested in the gospel. The majority of fathers here enjoy drinking too much and have zero interest in hearing the gospel. This father seems very interested and is a humble man. I'm excited to see how it goes! The Lord will continue to prepare the way for us as we work hard and have faith in Him. 
 
I'm so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord on my mission. I feel them each and everyday. I truly see that the Lord puts us in an area for a specific reason. When I first arrived here I was struggling to see why the area was white washed and why I had to leave Welkom so soon. I should have known the Lord always has His reasons! There are some people that the Lord has specifically prepared for us to teach as missionaries where only our testimony can touch them. I've seem that time and time again as I go throughout my mission. The only thing that we have to do is remain worthy as missionaries so the Lord can lead us to those people. 
 
I'll continue to keep you guys updated on how it goes with some of these people. This work is true and I see the Lord's hand manifest everyday in this divine work. 
 
I love you all. 
Elder Summers

No comments:

Post a Comment